Mathew Comarato from The Lab Bar and Kitchen shows us how to make their delicious recipe for Pickled Shrimp!
The Lab Bar and Kitchen, a new Southern-inspired, locally sourced bar and kitchen is now open in Birmingham’s Southside! The Lab Bar and Kitchen is located on the corner of University Boulevard and 20th Street in the Lower Lobby of Hilton Birmingham at UAB. Read on for an easy and delicious pickled shrimp recipe from The Lab Kitchen and Bar’s Executive Chef, Mathew Comataro!
Pickled Shrimp Recipe
- 1 lemon sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion sliced
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups heirloom carrots (yellow, white, orange and red)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tblsp ginger
- 2 tblsp pickling spice
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 pounds 16/20 jumbo gulf shrimp, split and de-veined
- To create the marinade combine lemon, garlic, onion, bay leaves, carrots and olive oil into a large bowl and stir. Set aside.
- Bring 2 cups apple cider vinegar to boil then add ginger, pickling spice, kosher salt, red pepper flakes and nutmeg. Stir until incorporated, then reduce heat to low.
- Add Jumbo shrimp to pot and begin stirring. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp. You want to let the shrimp sit and steep and slightly poach in the brine.
- While the brine is still hot, pour brine and shrimp into the bowl containing marinade.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly allowing the residual heat from the shrimp to heat up the marinade. Cover and let sit for 4 hours
- After the shrimp has marinated it’s time to plate! You’ll need a small mason jar or bowl to serve the shrimp.
- Begin placing ingredient into your jar starting with a lemon on the bottom, place a few shrimp on top of the lemon, add some onions and carrots followed by a few more shrimp until the jar is full!
- Serve and enjoy!
You might also like:
Stay up to date with all things Magic City Weekend!