You can please everyone with this next-level sweet potato pie that's perfect for any holiday gathering.
The holiday season means it’s time to eat, y’all. Pies are always welcomed on the food table, but if you want yours to stand out, and have everyone asking, “who made this,” you might need expert advice. We learned how to take a regular sweet potato pie to the next level, with unexpected ingredients.
JaWanda Jackson is the baker behind JaWanda’s Sweet Potato Pies, and she has made a career out of making this southern staple. Of course, her classic sweet potato pie is a knee-slapping, delicious treat. However, her store in Hoover also serves 15 different flavors of sweet potato pies including the original, pecan, orange cream cheese, and s’mores. She also whips up her mother’s peach cobbler recipe, and other southern desserts such as pound cakes, blackberry peach cobbler, and more.
You can make your dessert donation stand out by trying out this Jawanda’s recipe for The Surprise (S’Prize). There’s a special top and bottom with a standard sweet potato pie center:
- 4-5 cups sweet potato batter
- 1 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons half and half milk
- 2 cups pecan pieces
- 9” graham cracker crust
- Make your sweet potato batter or buy JaWanda’s jarred sweet potato batter (4-5 cups) and set to the side.
- In a bowl mix cream cheese, sugar, and egg. Add orange zest once mixture is creamy.
- Layer orange cream cheese mixture on bottom of crust, then layer sweet potato batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until done.
- In a small boiler melt butter, stir in brown sugar and milk. Add pecans once creamy.
- Allow pie to get room temperature and put a thin layer of pecan mixture on top. Place in refrigerator or freezer and allow to set.
- Serve at room temperature.
You can be a domestic goddess and make The Surprise yourself, or you can buy a ready-made pie from JaWanda’s Sweet Potato Pies. Just make sure your holiday orders are called-in about two weeks before the big event. The shop is located on Valleydale Road. Her pies are also sold at several Birmingham area Piggly Wiggly locations and the Cowboys 280 convenience store on Highway 280.
JaWanda’s Sweet Potatoe Pies Location
5291 Valleydale Road, Suite 111
Hoover, Alabama 35242
You may also like
Stay up to date with all things Magic City Weekend!