Sure you've eaten sushi, but have you ever tried to make it yourself? We went to Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar and they gave us some pro-tips on making sushi at home by showing us how they make their Fiery Dragon Roll!
Great sushi is hard to beat. From the fresh ingredients to the combinations of incredible flavors, it’s no wonder that it’s such a popular food. Trying to make sushi at home isn’t as daunting of a task as you might think. While mastering sushi might take a lifetime, just about anyone can make a simple maki roll at home! Here are some tips to get you started from the pros at Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar!
Sushi Making Tips
- Rice is super important. Use high-grade sushi rice if possible.
- Wash the rice thoroughly before cooking to remove starch and make it sticky
- After cooking the rice add sushi vinegar to season
- When handling the sushi be careful not to mash or crush it
- Spread the rice evenly across the nori seaweed paper
- Place the shiny side of the nori down and spread rice on the rough side
- Next flip the roll over and place on top of makisu bamboo mat
- Begin evenly placing ingredients on to the center of the nori
- Leave room on each end so everything rolls properly
- Use makisu mat to roll applying even pressure
- Begin topping the roll alternating between your toppings
- Cover roll in parchment paper use makisu to secure toppings
- Using a sharp knife, cut the sushi into even pieces
- After cutting use makisu mat to apply pressure again
- Remove the parchment paper
- Place roll on serving plate and get ready to add toppings
- Drizzle eel sauce across the top of the roll
- Top each piece with a thinly sliced jalapeño
- Top each pice with topeka fish eggs
- And now your roll is finished! Serve and enjoy!
The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar
The Cowfish is a one-of-a-kind dining experience, thriving on its ability to fuse two niche products seamlessly on the same menu – sushi and burgers! All natural, creative and hearty, the burgers entice with fresh ingredients and bold flavors. Fresh, innovative and delicious, the sushi segment of the menu is a unique balance of traditional and unconventional. Certainly unusual – absolutely great!
The first and only “Sushi Burger Bar”!
You might also like this recipe:
Stay up to date with all things Magic City Weekend!